2. Southern is the only region to run a public school only Shabbaton for teens from multiple regions.
3. Southern NCSY used to span the largest geographic area from Texas to North Carolina. Divided into 3 districts, the region had kids driving on busses for 48 hours for a 48 hour Shabbaton!
4. Southern NCSY forgot about a little something called “winter” — and had Shabbatons in campsites in Georgia, completely forgetting that Southern NCSYers had NO IDEA what hats, gloves or even blankets were in order to pack them!
5. Alumni from Southern NCSY have gone on to start communities in Israel (Rabbi Zev Leff), build local Jewish institutions (Bauman) and even launch online travel websites! (Robert Diener)
6. Southern NCSY used to be home to Summer Kollel Mini Kollels during winter break — who wouldn’t want to spend a week in January in Miami, even if it meant learning full time?
Is there anything interesting about your region we should know about? Let us know! Comment below and maybe we’ll feature your region.